Friday, July 17, 2015

Phenomenal Reads With Emily: Made You Up



  Recently I've enjoyed Made You Up by Francesca Zappia. This book is truly phenomenal. At first I only read it when I had the time, getting up to page 68, but then I began reading it more seriously, and over the course of two days I finished the rest of the book. While looking for good books to read over the summer, this book was number 4 on my list, but really should have been at least in my top three picks.
   I fell in love with this book almost instantly. From the cover, to the interesting prologue, and the great characters, this book is literally perfect. I couldn't stop reading! I just don't have the words to describe how amazing this book is (Miles does)! It was so hard to put it down I felt like it was super glued to my hands (fault of Alex). I loved how it was realistic. Everyone has their flaws. No one is perfect. All the characters had flaws and weaknesses, which made the book really relatable.
    Alex. Alex has Schizophrenia. This means that sometimes she has delusions, and is also very paranoid. She often struggles to figure out what's real and what's fake, so she takes pictures. I really liked her character. She is kind, and understandable. Everyone at her old school judged her because she is schizophrenic, so I feel bad for her. She just wants to fit in, and to be treated normally. This is why at her new school, she wants no one to know.
    Miles is a very interesting character. However, I still really liked him. His home life is not the best, but of course he doesn't tell anyone that. He has many layers to him, and even though the whole school is convinced he is a complete and total jerk, he is just misunderstood. He does things for people to earn money, for reasons I'm not going to mention (because it will spoil the book), but I'll tell you one thing: you won't see it coming!
    In this book, I found myself guessing what was real and what was not, and more often I found myself wrong than right. This book is a 
must-read. The characters are well thought out and relatable. The story is interesting and complicated. What's not to love about this book?
    Recently I have reread 1/4 of this book,(this part of this post is added on after it was published), and I completely fell in love with it all over again. The characters are amazing and have so many layers. I love the voice Alex's mind respond to things. For example
"Stop thinking about him, idiot!"
Oh, and how I love how Alex asks a Magic 8 Ball questions. Or more tells the Magic 8 Ball. Some things she says to it are not questions. This book is wonderful. Yes, Miles, it made me cry, but it also made me smile. And that smile is permanent.


Check out another "Phenomenal Reads With Emily"

No comments:

Post a Comment